Monday, March 28, 2011

Verse XI

bya ba chen po yun gyis bsgrub
ngang thung 'bad pas mthar mi phyin
rlung chen dal yang ring 'gro la
rba rlabs drag kyang cher mi 'gro

A great deed will not come to pass by a rash effort, but is accomplished over a long period of time.  Although powerful, a wave will not go very far; but a wave will go a long way even if the great wind is slow.

Textual Notes:

It seems that rba rlabs should be implied in the 3rd line in order for it to make any sense, and that is reflected in my translation.  The sense I get from reading it is that a powerful wave crashes, while a small wave moved by a slow but powerful wind goes a long way.  This is a much clearer rendition, but it is so far from a direct translation that I have to ask myself whether or not it's appropriate to use.  I think I can pinpoint the issue in using the verb "to crash" in English where it is absent in Tibetan. 

Signing off in Cleveland, Miss A.

No comments:

Post a Comment